Physical Education at Comberton
Our P.E. Intent statement: Our role at Comberton is to develop our children to have the motivation, confidence, physical competence, knowledge, and understanding to value and take responsibility for engagement in physical activities for life.
We follow the National Curriculum for PE.
A high-quality physical education curriculum inspires all pupils to succeed and excel in competitive sport and other physically-demanding activities. It should provide opportunities for pupils to become physically confident in a way which supports their health and fitness. Opportunities to compete in sport and other activities build character and help to embed values such as fairness and respect.
Our curriculum is developed so that children should leave our school with:
- A keen interest in physical activity and school sport demonstrated by a willingness to participate in every lesson, showing a positive attitude and the ability to make informed choices about engaging fully in extra-curricular sport.
- An understanding that a healthy lifestyle is achieved by eating sensibly, exercising regularly and avoiding smoking, drugs and alcohol.
- The aspiration to be physically active for sustained periods of time and an understanding of the importance of this in promoting long-term health and well-being.
- A mastery of movement that includes balance, flexibility, strength, technique, agility, control and co-ordination.
- The skills to play competitive games applying basic principles suitable for attacking and defending.
- Experiences of applying their skills in a wide range of different activities and situations, alone, in small groups and in competitions.
- Leadership skills - organising and officiating as well as motivating and instilling excellent sporting attitudes in others.
- An understanding of how to improve in different physical activities and sports, learning how to evaluate and recognise their own success.
- The ability to swim at least 25 metres and the knowledge of how to remain safe in and around water.
The sports premium grant has enabled us to further develop PE; for full details of how the money is spent and the impact it has, please check out our Sports Premium page. We take part in as many sporting events outside of school as possible and the achievements of these can also be found on this page.
We are developing our curriculum to ensure that our pupils gain a depth of knowledge; we promote the progression of skills; and teach through an effective sequence of learning.