A contracted caterer, Shire Services, provides our hot school meals. They have confirmed they meet and constantly review their menu against the school food standards.
Their menu includes two main meal choices and a vegetarian option.
· 75% of their meals are freshly prepared.
· All meals are offered with salad, wholemeal bread and a vegetable selection.
· They use Red tractor chicken that guarantees safe, quality chicken meeting welfare standards.
· All their fish is Marine Stewardship Certified and all eggs are free range.
· They do not add additional salt to their meals.
· All cakes and biscuits are freshly made and all puddings are made from a reduced sugar recipe
· Fresh fruit is available each day.
· Gluten free meals are available on request.
Menus are available from the school office and meals can be ordered via the school office or your child's class teacher however payment must be sent to school by the Friday of the prior week.
All children in Reception, Year 1 and Year 2 will be provided with a free hot school meal. This means that your child can enjoy a hot school meal every day with no cost to yourself. However, in order that we don't create surplus waste, we will be requesting that you select which days you would like your child to receive their meals.
Free school meals for Key Stage 2 children can be provided as part of the Family Support Benefit Scheme for which an application form is available from the School office and is treated in the strictest of confidence. (If the pupils are attending a school trip and you are entitled for free school meals, a packed lunch will be provided for them).
We actively encourage a healthy lunchbox and recommend that they should contain the following:
· a good portion of starchy food, e.g. wholegrain bap, thick sliced wholemeal bread, chapatti, pitta pocket, pasta or rice salad
· plenty of fruit and vegetables, e.g. cherry tomatoes, carrot sticks, small box of raisins, mini can of fruit chunks
· a portion of semi-skimmed milk or dairy food, e.g. portion of cheese or pot of yoghurt
· a portion of lean meat, fish or alternative, e.g. ham, chicken, beef, tuna, Quorn, egg or hummus
· a drink e.g. fruit juice, semi skimmed milk or bottle of water
In addition, the school encourages a healthy diet and asks parents to consider the quantity and frequency of the following items in pupils’ lunchboxes:
· Sweets (including Winders), chocolate bars, etc.
· Crisps or any packeted savoury snacks high in salt and fat
· Sweet cakes, e.g. cakes, doughnuts, etc.
For the health and safety of children with nut allergies we recommend that the following are not included in pupils’ lunchboxes:
· Nut bars
· Foods containing nuts
· Packets of nuts
During meal times, children are encouraged to maintain good manners and are ably assisted by our caring lunchtime supervisors.
What do our pupils say?
"There are lots of choices and they are really nice to eat." - Holly
"I like the variety of food." - Tyler
"My favourites our pizza and a roast." - Abbie
"My favourite meal is spaghetti bolognaise and I like something warm to eat at lunch." - Oliver